I recently made a very tasty Mango Mint Chutney that was originally supposed to be a salsa. Although it was absolutely delicious on top of our Pan Seared Tilapia, it just couldn’t be considered a salsa to me. It didn’t have that Mexican flavor.
Yes, I know. Every salsa doesn’t have to be Mexican, but I just can’t get over that mentality.
After completely devouring our “chutney” I got right to work the next day making a mango “salsa” for some salmon fish tacos. I pretty much put in the same ingredients as the chutney except for substituting the mint leaves for cilantro.
Now cilantro is Mexican!
The result was truly delicious. However it needed some more crunch. I had run out of cucumber so I was scouring through my fridge wondering what else I could add to my concoction. Green apples!
I know, green apples in salsa sounds really weird.
Ben gave me the strangest look when I was asking him whether or not I should add the apples in. Which, by the way, I don’t even know why I ask him for advice anymore. It is very apparent that I never listen to him. Poor guy!
Of course I added the apple anyway. And even though it was only 7:30 in the morning and he was only halfway through his bowl of cereal, I made him taste the salsa. Boy was he surprised when he absolutely loved it…well, not with cereal, though.
The green apples give this salsa the perfect crunch and an added tartness that pairs nicely with the lime juice and mangos. This will definitely be my go to salsa this summer. Now I just need a reason to invite some friends over so they can enjoy it with me. But really, who needs a reason for that?!
- 2 mangos, diced (plus extra juice from squeezing)
- 2 key limes
- ⅓ cup green apple, diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped roma tomatoes (1-2)
- 2-3 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno, depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- dash of ginger
- dash of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, depending on taste
- Combine diced mango, apple, bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and jalapeno in a medium sized mixing bowl. Squeeze excess juice from mango skins into bowl. Cut key limes in half and squeeze juice into bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add sugar, cumin, ginger, dash of salt and pepper. Stir to evenly distribute.Add chopped cilantro and stir.
- Cover tightly and chill for at least 2 hours. Stir before serving.